PostgreSQL fourteen, the newest version of the well known open source databases, has arrived, with abilities targeted on functionality, sophisticated knowledge types, and distributed knowledge workloads.
Published on September 30, PostgreSQL fourteen can be downloaded from postgresql.org.
For workloads that use many connections, the PostgreSQL fourteen enhance has obtained a doubling of functionality on some benchmarks. Large workloads, and workloads with many little write functions, also profit from the new ability to pipeline queries to a databases, which can improve functionality about large-latency connections. This client-aspect attribute can be applied with any fashionable PostgreSQL databases with the version fourteen client or a client driver created with version fourteen of libpq.
For distributed workloads, use of reasonable replication can stream in-development transactions to subscribers, with functionality gains for implementing significant transactions. And international knowledge wrappers, for doing the job with federated workloads across PostgreSQL and other databases, now can leverage question parallelism in PostgreSQL fourteen.
In other places in PostgreSQL fourteen:
- Question arranging and execution have been improved. Improved assist for question parallelism incorporates better functionality of parallel sequential scans. Queries employing nested loop joins could profit through added caching in PostgreSQL fourteen.
- Vary types now assist contiguous ranges through a “multirange” knowledge style. A multirange is an requested record of ranges that do not overlap, making it possible for developers to write less complicated queries to perform with sophisticated assortment sequences.
- JSON knowledge can be accessed employing subscripts.
- Functionality has been improved in the vacuuming program for databases routine maintenance. Optimizations include things like minimizing the overhead of B-trees.
- Saved treatments making it possible for for transaction command in a block of code now can return knowledge by employing
- Prolonged stats now can be applied for expressions.
- Assigning examine-only and write-only privileges to end users on tables, views, and schemas has been created a lot easier through
- Standards-compliant SCRAM-SHA-256 password management and authentication now is the default on new situations of PostgreSQL.
Copyright © 2021 IDG Communications, Inc.